The IUC project participated in a stakeholders’ call of the Global Covenant of Mayors (GCoM) organised by ICLEI Korea, which holds the national GCoM Secretariat. At the event the projet team, presented a progress report on the IUC support to the GCoM implementation in Korea. This can be summarised as:
Current Status (April 2020)
- Successfully completed capacity building workshop, training and expert group meeting on CAP and GHG inventory to the cities under South-Jeolla Province (May, Nov 2019), and implemented networking activities with the cities in Chung Nam Province.
- Establishing contacts with the network of local climate policy research institutes to assist cities (ICEC, SHARI, KRIC, Incheon Institute)
- Face-to-face public gathering with city stakeholders are restricted due to covid-19 till April 5, main IUC C2 activities (with ChungNam and Gwangju Metropolitan) are rescheduled from March to June and August 2020 (TBC).
- Preparatory online meetings with Korean pilot cities/provinces through SHARI, KRIC, ICEC, Incheon Institute.
- Possible discussion on the impact of the Korean Green Deal for Cities (May 2020)– cooperation with Korea Low Carbon Programme
- Workshop on GHG inventory and CAP with ChungNam SHARI for June 2020 (TBC). Focus on coal-phasing out – methods & best practices from Europe (EU and cities level). Follow-up to Activity from 2019.
- Aligning the CAP Dangjin and Gwangju to the CRF – including GHG reporting with ICEC and SHARI August
- Supporting GCoM Secretariat by interviewing Gwangju (JeollaNamdo), Dangjin and Hongsung (Chung Nam)
- Supporting IUC PSU through case study on Seoul